Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Roof progress

It's been a while since I updated.  In the last post, we were tentatively exploring the roof and optimistic about the quality of the aluminum to be found under all of the goo.  So we got a couple of tarps and a cheap oscillating tool from Harbor Freight and went to work.



 I spent hours on that roof, scraping and scraping.  I was able to spend a lot of time looking down on the fleet.

Perhaps this is a spoiler, but that black tarry stuff wasn't coming up.  I briefly considered using a portable torch, following the example of my grandfather when he was removing the linoleum from his kitchen floor.  I was only a small fry, but it made an impression.  And the black goo from that memory looks a lot like this stuff.

We did go on our Memorial Day camping trip.  The roof was incomplete, but we brought the tarps along and hoped for a dry weekend.  A lot more beer was going to be needed to complete this project.



No comments:

Post a Comment